Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Team Beauty's Backstage Favorites at New York Fashion Week Spring 2011

Betsey Johnson and Carmen Electra ham it up backstage at Betsey Johnson Spring 2011. Photo: Getty Images

Although it's hard to choose favorites when you see the blood, sweat and tears that go into creating just about every beauty look on the runways, now that Spring 2011 New York Fashion Week is over, Team Backstage Beauty is reflecting on the hair, makeup and moments that really inspired us.

We'll be talking about the Spring 2011 beauty trends for months to come, but here are our initial thoughts.

Betsey Johnson's Backstage Insanity:
Betsey Johnson's show was insanely fun. She threw candy and flower petals at models backstage, fed everyone champagne, Skittles, Swedish Fish and lollipops before the show, and rode down the runway in her favorite bicycle, jumping off to hit her signature cartwheel bow. Someone please get me one of whatever she's having. - Grace Gold

Bright Orange Lips: My favorite beauty trend is the vibrant coral-orange lip seen at Marc Jacobs, Isaac Mizrahi, Milly and Ohne Titel. It pops against every skin tone and exudes the kind of effortless glamour that steals the show without making it look like you're trying too hard. The secret is that you want to go for a matte finish, for that modern, high-society vibe. - Grace Gold

The look at Lela Rose. Photo: Getty Images
Lela Roses' Coral Lips & Messy Braids: I'm obsessed with the coral lips and messy braid at Lela Rose because the whole look was just beautiful and totally doable for real life. It wasn't a completely bizarre runway-only thing that's creative but unwearable; that said, when you've got these amazingly talented hair and makeup experts on hand, you want to see something special--not bare faces and ponytails. It'd be entirely possible to re-create Ted Gibson's ropy side braids even without his magic touch, and I love the idea of a velvety textured coral mouth, instead of classic red, when it comes to bright lips. Stila makeup artist Sarah Lucero told me that mixing in a touch of blue-red to the coral makes the effect work well even on girls with cool-toned skin. - Jill Schuck Taylor

Marchesa's Ornate Hair & Makeup: The most evident beauty trend for Spring 2011 I noticed was gold eyeshadow, however my favorite show for beauty this season, Marchesa, did a strong white eye shadow cream and liner, with some taupe layered beneath, created by Talia Shobrook for Le Métier de Beauté. She also mixed two dark lipstick colors and dabbed the color ever so slightly over pale lips, a great accent to not overpower the incredibly beautiful dresses. I loved the blending of ancient oriental inspiration with such a modern, strong, yet feminine look, and the hair by Renato Campora for Frederic Fekkai was something I will always remember, artfully wrapped and braided high, with those long and wide bejeweled appliqué pieces by Marchesa. The way they flanked the head reminded me of classical statues of Greek and Roman Gods; I know that if I got to wear one of those ornate headpieces and a Marchesa dress, I would no doubt feel like a Goddess myself! - Julie DiNardo

White liner and high buns at Marchesa (left) and Frizzy curls at Marc By Marc Jacobs (right). Photos: Getty Images

Marc Jacob's Frizz: Perhaps it's because I spent a large portion of my youth attempting to tame my own frizzy locks, that I was so magnetically drawn to the larger-than-life, teased-to-the-max hairstyles that Guido Palau created at both Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc Jacobs. After all, when it comes to hair, you always want what you don't have. Now that I'm a little older, and my hair isn't as curly as it used to be, of course I'm salivating over insanely frizzy hair. "It's that decadent frizz from the 1930's that we revisited in the '70's," said Palau. "It's very louche and decadent, like a perfume-ad girl." I want to be louche and decadent and this spring, and I'll be pin-curling my hair like crazy to help me get there.  - Laura Kenney

Stylist

Hair News Network

No comments:

Post a Comment